[yapc] passport and tourism

James Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jun 12 11:11:33 CDT 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 11:55 AM, Uri Guttman wrote:

> given all the security hoopla, should i bring my passport just to cross
> into canada for tourist stuff? in my previous forays north, i just
> needed my driver's license and in some cases at small town crossovers,
> nothing happened.
>
> anyone know the current trends at niagara falls (like over rainbow
> bridge)?

1.  It never hurts to have your passport.
2.  All non-U.S. citizens currently living in the US and attending the
conference should check in advance as to what documentation they might
need to enter Canada and re-enter the U.S. on a day trip.
3.  The time needed to pass through Customs and Immigration varies
maddeningly.  I've driven into and out of Canada four times since 9/11.
  I never have a problem getting into Canada.  I show them my passport
and my license number is already in their system.
	Getting back into the U.S. is a different question.  I've entered the
U.S. via the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge (most direct route from Canada
to northern Erie County and points east) three times since Sept 2001 --
once just 3 weeks after the attacks.  The first two times:  no problem,
no more than 15 minute waits, even though I was asked to open my trunk.
  But in early May, returning from Toronto (where, once again, I had a
great time with to.pm), it took me 90 minutes to cross the Bridge and
get through C&I -- and I don't really know why the processing was going
so slowly.  And the Q-L Bridge always had a reputation of being faster
than the Peace Bridge!
	Implication:  Be sure you take a bathroom break before approaching the
border, particularly entering the US.
4.  Uri:  Given the above, I would recommend taking the Maid of the
Mist from the U.S. side, so as to not waste time crossing the border on
a peak traffic summer weekend.

jimk