[yapc] Campus Dorm Accomodations: Howzey?

Jeff Bisbee yapc at jbisbee.com
Thu May 29 06:08:40 CDT 2003

* Soren Andersen (somian at adelphia.net) wrote:
> I'd like to request input from anyone who knows or can find out anything
> detailed and specific about the dorm room setup for YAPC::NA next month.
> Anything at all which might be of relevence to the cost-pinched
> comfort-loving traveller ;-). How's the food? WHERE's the food? Vending
> machines? Telephony? Ethernet?? ;-)

I'm working on nailing down all the details.  Meng Wong (freeside) has
been working on the YAPC::NA FAQ at

    http://www.yapc.org/America/faq.shtml

The only one I can answer is network access.  I have a signed up for a
campus account that everyone will share that will give us access to
wireless, computer labs, and dorm room ethernet.  I don't have specifics
on it yet, but FAU has a help desk that help those of us that have
problems.  Also, I'll dig up some links so those who are interested can
read up before hand.

So we have the these new questions for the FAQ:

     How & where is the food?
     Dorms & Vending machines?
     Dorms & Telephony?

> And the 10-dollar question everyone has been DYING to see answered: what
> the ever-luvin beeblethorpe is an INDIAN RIVER ROOM?

I'm going to hold off on answering that question because I'm in the
process of negotiations with the dorm guy.  We orginally estimated
100 people staying in the dorms and signed a contract with that amount.
Currently only 18 of the 152 attendees are signed up for the dorms so
I'm working with the dorm guy to "ignore" the previous contract
(so we don't have to pay for 100 rooms).  I should get my answers today
and I'll e-mail only those who are staying in the dorms.

-- Jeff Bisbee / yapc at jbisbee.com / jbisbee.com