[yapc] howto conference costs

Adam Turoff ziggy at panix.com
Fri Jun 27 10:05:57 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:23:47PM -0500, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Dan MacNeil wrote:
> > Were speakers paid?
>
> No, speakers get in free, that's it.

That's the YAPC model.

The Python community adopted and customized that model for PyCon DC this
past spring.  They took a page out of SciFi conventions: "everyone pays
registration.  Period."

On the topic of registration, there have been a few times where we had a
two tiered registration: $N for the conference, or an option to tack on
a $300 donation to TPF.  The idea behind that was that some companies
(back in the boom times) wouldn't take a $95 conference seriously, but
wouldn't hesitate to send staff to a $395 event.

And every few years, Uri *begs* to be charged more to attend.  I don't
know why we haven't instituted an Uri Guttman rate yet.  :-)

Z.