[yapc] howto conference costs

Jeff Bisbee yapc at jbisbee.com
Tue Jun 24 21:30:54 CDT 2003

* Dan MacNeil (omacneil at brave.cs.uml.edu) wrote:
> I'm wondering if YAPC::NA is reproducable.

    there have be quite a few before this one

> How was this low cost achieved?

    donations, free volunteer organizers, using university resources,
    etc.  There should be a first ever YAPC finance report being
    pubilshed in the near future also.  So you can get an idea of the
    sources of funds and where the funds were spent.  (a glimpe inside)

> 1) Travel to FL in June is less popular.

    We knew that going in but its hot everywhere (just hotter in
    south Florida)  That's why we have the conferences indoors ;)

> 2) No printed handouts.

    This was a decision to keep costs down.

> Other questions are:
> Were speakers paid?

    Not a penny was paid for a speaker, all volunteer.  After talking
    with Kevin, I found out we had enough talks to go the whole week,
    but we didn't have the nessesary funds for food, rooms, etc.  In
    the past dorms have been supplied for speakers, but not this year.

> Was the bulk of the cost covered by ActiveState or other donor?

    We got some really nice donation money from O'Reilly and Active
    State.  The details will be in the report.

> How much was it to rent the college?

    Again in the report should clear it up for you.

Everyone's feedback is very much appriciated and with every new question
and point of view, I see the conference from a different angle.

Dan thanks for the feedback and everyone else keep the feedback coming.
I love less than positive comments the best because it lets me know what
we can work on doing better next time.

-- Jeff Bisbee / biz at jbisbee.com / jbisbee.com