[yapc] Wireless access at DoubleTree

Damian Conway damian at conway.org
Thu Jun 12 15:26:07 CDT 2003

> Indy> I know there will be wireless internet access at FAU, I would
> Indy> also like to use wireless internet at the DoubleTree hotel,
> Indy> however at $10 per day the cost is a bit prohibitive.  Even to
> Indy> dial out to a local ISP is 75 cents per call.  Anyone else think
> Indy> this is a bit expensive?  Has anyone figured out other cheaper
> Indy> alternatives?

I'm *at* the DoubleTree already, sending this via the wireless internet, and I
don't seem to have been charged for it.

When you log in here, your browser first comes up with the "$9.95 per day"
screen. When you click on the <CONTINUE> button you get a "Free internet
access" screen. When you click on the <OK> button you get access.

At no point was I asked for my room number, or for a credit card, and they
certainly didn't take my MAC address when I arrived. So I don't see any way
they can be charging for it, unless they're triangulating on my room by
comparing return signal strengths at their various base stations ;-)

I'd say their access is either always complimentary or that Kevin has worked
the necessary magic five days *before* the conference even began!

Damian