[yapc] Tri-Rail service from Airports to Boca -- advice from a local

Lynn Ranen lranen at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:12:12 CDT 2003

FWIW --

As a general statement, public transportation is South Florida is
non-viable.  I took the bus to work one day and it took me 4 hours to go
about 10 miles.  Unless you plan to stay in hotel/on campus, then you are
really better off renting a car.  Unlike up-north cities, South Florida is
spread all over the place -- it's almost an hour drive from Boca to South
Beach.  It's 30-40 minutes to FLL from Boca, but on a crowded shuttle,
unless you are the first stop (doubtful) this could take you several hours.

More convenient but more costly, the taxi ride from FLL to Boca would run
you about $80 each way.   For half that, you could rent a car for the whole
trip.

See you on Monday !

BTW -- I checked on alamo.com and you can rent an economy car for under $100
Sun 5PM - Wed 9PM.