[yapc] Go players?

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Fri Jun 6 03:42:12 CDT 2003

Dave Rolsky <autarch at urth.org> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Alan Spector wrote:
>
>> That sounds really cool, I'd like to learn too.
>
> If there's a lot of first time people who want to learn we might be able
> to grab a room with a projector and I could do a quick teaching session
> with my laptop, actually.  Like Uri, said the rules can be explained
> _very_ quickly, and the basic ideas are very simple.  Learning to play
> well is harder ;)

Daft as it sounds, it's easier to learn if you're amongst a bunch of
beginners with some experienced players about to ask questions because
you'll be playing against people at your level.

> I will also be bringing a board.

It's relatively easy to make 9x9 boards with a printer. A full set of
stones will serve 4 9x9 boards reasonably happy, and 9x9 is definitely
where it's at for beginners anyway.

I'll bring a 9x9/13x13 board which will pack relatively easily, but
I'm unlikely to be bringing stones (at least, I won't be bringing the
stones in their bowls, I'll see about packing enough for the 13x13
though.

--
Piers