[yapc] Go players?

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Thu Jun 5 22:00:15 CDT 2003

  KM> I'd just like to learn :) So, if someone can teach me, I'd be much
  KM> appreciative!

go can be taught in 5 minutes. and because of its builtin handicapping
system you can play a wide range of players (better or worse). i am not
great but i could give you 9 stones (that is like 9 free moves but they
have to be in predetermined places) and we might have a decent game. on
the other hand some at yapc could give me 9 stones. a good player could
cream me even with that handicap.

and the complexity is much greater than chess. the opening (on an empty
board) is the hardest part and takes the longest in tournaments whereas
in chess the openings are almost all book. computers still suck at go
whereas we have seen them get very good at chess.

if there are enough boards (i will have to see if i have a portable one)
i will be glad to teach you.

Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com