[Yapc-na-organizers] Open master classes for public bid?

Jeremy Fluhmann fluhmann at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 20:46:13 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Robert Blackwell <robert at robertblackwell.com>
wrote:

> Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>
>> I like this idea. Would this be leveraged as an additional source of
>> funding the conference?
>>

> I am not clear on the relationship of YAPC and the master classes.  But
> with PPW we are not interested in having the classes be a source of funding.
>  We are mostly interested in letting people learn more about perl from good
> trainers.
> I would be very interested to hear what Josh and Jeremy have done in the
> past with respect to YAPC and the Master classes.

After Chicago started offering the classes in 2006, we (Houston) decided to
include them as well.  For me, the classes were a way to try and get more
people to attend the conference.  We didn't take any of the money from the
classes in 2007.  I believe TPF paid Stonehenge (or brian) the total amount
from the classes minus the cost of the facilities used for the classes.  One
thing that was really nice was that O'Reilly donated the books for the
classes, so each attendee received a book with their registration.  It was
also nice that both brian and Randal taught classes that had corresponding
books available.

I don't know how Chicago handled the money from the classes this year, but I
thought it was really great that LOPSA offered a class.  Had my schedule not
been so crazy, I would have liked to attend their class. I'm not sure of the
attendance numbers for this year's classes, but I would be interested in how
many people attended the LOPSA class.  I would also be interested in what
submissions Pittsburgh would receive if they opened up the bid for classes.

Jeremy