[Yapc-na-organizers] Tasks

Jeremy Fluhmann jeremy at msc.tamu.edu
Mon Sep 18 09:07:45 PDT 2006

On Monday, September 18, 2006 8:49 AM, Bob Clancy wrote:
>     My name is Bob Clancy from Boston.pm.  I've joined your volunteers
> list and I can take on some responsibilities wherever you think I
might be
> able to best help remotely.  I don't consider myself a project
manager,
> but I had taken a lead role in boston.pm's bid, so I can probably help
> with coordination, but you'd probably be better with a local volunteer
for
> this.  Another area I can probably help with could be
coordinating/finding
> sponsors.  I think much of that work can easily be done remotely.

Hi Bob!  Thanks for volunteering!  Sponsorship is definitely an area
that I think every YAPC could use as much help as possible.

>     Regarding sponsorship, I think a first task is to identify areas
where
> sponsorship is needed and areas where sponsorship might be popular
with
> contributing companies.  Regarding needs:  I think the first area
might be
> getting sponsorship for hall rental fees, etc.  The second thing to do
> would be to contact past YAPC::NA organizers to get an idea of what to
> "expect" and how things have been done in the past.  I've had an offer
> from ITA Software from an engineer indicating he would submit a
proposal
> for Boston.pm.  Since we didn't win the bid, I'd like to pass this
> opportunity onto Houston.

Thanks!  I talked with Pete (YAPC::NA 2006) about sponsorship.  Some the
information he pointed me to suggested offering potential sponsors the
opportunity to sponsor the venue, snacks, t-shirts, banquet, printed
materials, and speaker event.  I also know that the job fair attracted
additional sponsorship.