[Yapc-na-organizers] yapc 2007 dates

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Sep 7 16:27:56 PDT 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:14:17 -0500
"Jeremy Fluhmann" <jeremy at msc.tamu.edu> wrote:

> After a reply from Jim and Damian about suggested yapc dates, it seems
> that the traditional dates for yapc will work best.  YAPC::NA has been
> around long enough for people to start planning in advance and expect to
> attend in mid- to late-June.  As Damian said about the dates in his
> e-mail, the closer to OSCON, the better.  He usually stays in America
> during the time between YAPC and OSCON, as might some other
> International travelers.  Setting the dates to be June 25-27 would
> probably better accommodate Damian (and International travelers).
> Randal Schwartz probably wouldn't be available.  Judging by his schedule
> online he may be elsewhere June 23 - July 3 (unless he changes his
> plans).  I haven't received a reply from Larry yet.
>

> I also mentioned to Damian about trying to have the two-day training
> sessions like this year's YAPC.  I wasn't sure about putting it at the
> front of the conference or adding it to the back (like this year).  He
> prefers having it at the end (allows time to recover from jetlag, etc.).
> So, either date we choose, I recommend we try to include the two-day
> training sessions and have them at the end of YAPC.
>

> So, the dates look to be either June 18 - 20 or June 25 - 27.  Any
> thoughts or concerns for those dates?

If we are aiming for June, either set of dates is okay.

August would be pretty unbearable (generally) for people who aren't from
around here, but I don't think there's much different weather-wise in those
dates.

I can't think of anything in particular that would make any differences,
otherwise. It might be worth checking with the Tourism and Convention people
to see if anything overlaps one that might cause problems.

A quick check of the Houston Guide doesn't show any festivals or events
scheduled for June (at least, not yet). One of the various festivals could
generate a cool distraction during the convention.

Need to look around a bit more to see if we can find anything else.

G. Wade
--
If there's no problem, there's no solution.         -- Rick Hoselton