[WindyCity-pm] February meeting: Perl 5.10 lightning talks

brian d foy brian.d.foy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:16:09 PST 2008

Josh and I were going to do a couple of short 5.10 talks for the
meeting on February 19, but I found out I already have plans :(

So, who would like to do the talks I was going to do? I chose named
captures and given-when, and I can give the lucky speaker the new
Learning Perl sections on that, The Perl Review articles I wrote abot
them, and so on.

Also, if anyone wants to try their hand at a very short talk, there
are a lot of easy 5.10 features:

* stacked file test operators:  ( -r -w $file ) instead of ( -w $file
and -r $file )

* new whitespace character classes \v and \h for vertical and
horizontal whitespace

* relative backreferences, so \g{-1} refers to the last capture. no
more counting and shifting!

* the new greedier quantifier modifier. Add a + after any quantifier
and it prevents backtracking for that part:

Although I can't make it, I'll still supply incentives for anyone who
speaks: there's a free Catalyst book in it for someone. :)

--
brian d foy <brian.d.foy at gmail.com>
http://www.pair.com/~comdog/