[WindyCity-pm] perl failover scripts?

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Sun Jan 6 13:39:32 PST 2008

I need to ensure continuity of a small network 10 machines that access a MySQL server and two slaves.  I have looked into failover scripts that change the IP of the server to the slave in case of failure but aside from being a bit complicated to configure and install, they seem to be a drawback in that they give me yet another piece of software to maintain, or at least look after.  Instead, writing a simple module  ( DBconnecter.pm ) to manage connections and switch to a slave should the master be unresponsive seems easier -- although it would mean hunting down all the "my $dbh = DBI->IP,$user,$pass" calls in thousands of lines of code that run on local clients and replace them with calls to the DBconnector module.  That being said it still seems like a less complicated path.

I was hoping for input as to whether or not this is a viable strategy.  Is there a drawback that I'm missing?  Any Input, Pro or  Con would be greatly appreciated  as this is unchartered territory for me.

Thanks for your attention.

Richard

Your beliefs become your thoughts.  Your thoughts become your words.  Your words become your actions.  Your actions become your habits.  Your habits become your values.  Your values become your destiny.  -- Mahatma Gandhi