[WindyCity-pm] Next meeting: Making my own CPAN, book swap, lightning talks, and a free drink

brian d foy brian.d.foy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 15:08:36 PDT 2007

Pete might have more news and administrative info for the next
meeting, but since I'm giving the next talk, I can tell you about it.

My latest interest is custom versions of CPAN and how the mere mortal
can construct one. That could be a subset of CPAN with just the stuff
you need, or a superset with some public CPAN and some private
modules, or a version of CPAN with older versions of modules that you
know work with your application. No matter what is in CPAN, it's easy
to put it on removable media. No network access? No problem, here's
CPAN on a thumb drive or CD (and I'll have both of those options with
me if you want a copy).

Besides that, I'll be bringing a big pile of random books with me.
That pile includes several recent promotional copies as well as things
I don't want on my shelf anymore. Why not bring your unwanted books
too? Let's have a book swap. Give a book, take a book.

And, for those that want first crack at the books, give a lightning
talk. You don't need slides or anything fancy. Just get up and talk
for 3 to 5 minutes about something you're doing with Perl or that
happened in your Perl development since the last meeting. It's a great
way to get used to talking about a technical topic in front of a
friendly audience. I'll give everyone who give a lightning talk a free
copy of the current issue of The Perl Review,  which currently has a
long article on my talk topic.

Don't forget that everyone is invited to Monks for drinks and food
after the meeting. Anyone who shows up at Monks for their first time
gets a free drink on me. :)

--
brian d foy <brian.d.foy at gmail.com>
http://www.pair.com/~comdog/