[WindyCity-pm] [Chicago-talk] The bummer of split lists

Mike Fragassi frag at ripco.com
Tue Oct 9 08:09:18 PDT 2007

I've got to agree that the list splitting was not a good idea. (Among
other things, no one told me about the new list for a while; I saw no
public posting of the list's creation to Chicago-talk.  I still don't
see anything like that; while newcomers have been turning up on
Chicago-talk, are they subscribing to WindyCity-pm?)  But then I also
don't like having separate *-announce lists in the first place.  It
would be one thing if the list had the traffic of perl5-porters, long
inane threads with no relevance to Perl, or trolling problems, but we
don't.  (Except for the occasional meta thread, like this.)

In any case, as an example of the problem with multiple lists, some of
the posts about the forthcoming hackathon are only getting sent to
WindyCity-pm instead of Chicago-talk, which is a bad idea since a
hackathon would concern more than just the people downtown.  I suppose
it beats multiple copies of each email for those of us subscribed to
both, but it should be all on a single general unmoderated list that
covers the whole area, which seems to be Chicago-talk. (I mean, no one
actually has approval/rejection power for posts on Chicago-talk, right?)

My preferred solutions would be one of the following:

1. "WindyCity-pm" list should be strictly for downtown announcements, in
which case it would be better off rechristened WindyCity-announce for
clarity.  Talk planning for forthcoming downtown events (hackathon,
Stonehenge classes, etc.) should be kept on the Chicago-talk list until
an actual announcement is ready.  Whether WindyCity-announce is open or
has a moderator granting approval doesn't matter much unless the list
starts to be abused.

2. One Big List.  You yourself indicate announcements by slapping
[ANNOUNCE] to the start of the Subject: when you mail.  No gatekeeping.
People who don't like chatter are offered a hand with email filtering
recipes.

-- Mike F.