[WindyCity-pm] Trapping data from the a serial port.

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Thu Dec 20 15:12:21 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 07:58 -0800, Richard Reina wrote:
> I am trying to find a way to continuously transfer files over a serial
> port.  Thanks to Eric and Jonathon yesterday I learened how to send
> and receive files through a serial port.  Many thanks.  However, due
> to my inability to interpolate variables at the bash command line I
> decided to try:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl5 -w
>
> use strict;
> while(1) {
>
> my ($yr, $mo, $day, $hr, $min, $sec) = (localtime)[5,4,3,2,1,0];
> my $date = $sec . $min . $hr . $day . ($mo + 1) . ($yr + 1900);
> system("cat /dev/ttyS0 > $date");
>
> }

Two things.  First, localtime in scalar context returns a formatted date
string.  Secondly, try this in bash:

   something > "filename.$(date)"

That will put the output of something into a file named like
"filename.Thu Dec 20 17:10:50 CST 2007".  Spaces are irritating, though,
so I do this:

   something > "filename.$(date +%s)"

Which yields "filename.1198192282".

Regards,