[WindyCity-pm] Sending emails from perl.

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Tue Dec 18 09:37:08 PST 2007

I would like to send mail via a perl script.  I find sendmail pretty overwhelming. So I was relieved when I found the the module Mail::Sendmail.  I downloaded it, installed it and put in my yahoo SMTP server in the appropriate config file as SBC yahoo is my ISP.  However, much to my dismay when I ran the test I got:

ok 1
Server set to: smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com
Sending...
MAIL FROM: error (530 authentication required - for help go to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/bizmail/pop/pop-11.html)
!Error sending mail:

I didn't see any place to put my sbc-yahoo password.  Worse, I found his cryptic sentence under LIMITATIONS of Mail::Sendmail:

"No support for the SMTP AUTH extension."

Does this mean I can't use Mail::Sendmail since my SMTP server requires authentication, or do I just not know where to put it?

Does anyone know of outgoing SMTP server that I can use that does not require authentication?

Is there an easier way to send emails from perl on linux?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard

Your beliefs become your thoughts.  Your thoughts become your words.  Your words become your actions.  Your actions become your habits.  Your habits become your values.  Your values become your destiny.  -- Mahatma Gandhi