[Wellington-pm] IDEs round-the-room

Steve Piner Steve.Piner at signify.co.nz
Sun Jun 25 14:01:31 PDT 2017

I've read someone writing about the potential for it to go all wrong and
leave you with your debugging code running in production.

They noted that if you never had 'use Smart::Comments' or equivalent in
your code, and only ever ran it like 'perl -MSmart::Comments
application.pl', then it was probably safe.

It seemed like a clever way to avoid the risk.

Steve

On 25/06/17 17:42, Florent Mara wrote:
> I didn't mention usage for Smart::Comments instead of print / say
> debug statement.
> I have been using and abusing Smart::Comments extensively for many
> years, very handy.
>
> use Smart::Comments;
> my $var = 'blue';
> ### $var
>
> Then de-activate all print-outs with
> no Smart::Comments;
>
> Super handy. I avoid in-lining and create variables just to be able to
> implement print-outs with '###' whenever convenient.
> And we have a test that checks smart comments aren't enabled before
> shipping.
>
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Simon Green <mail at simon.green
> <mailto:mail at simon.green>> wrote:
>
>     On 23/06/17 21:35, Peter Kelly wrote:
>     > Hi mongers,
>     >
>     > Could we have a round-the-room about IDEs?
>
>     Definitely vim for me. Maybe it's because I've been coding before IDEs
>     were around. And since Vim 7, tabs have made it even easier to have
>     multiple source code open in the one window.
>
>     And like others have said, 'print' (or 'say') statements are the best
>     form of debugging around. If I'm trying to track performance issues,
>     NYTProf is my go-to tool.
>
>     --
>     Simon
>

> --

Steve Piner

Lead Developer

*P:*+64 4 803 3211*M:*+64 27 588 5995

Level 9, LG House, 35 Victoria St, Wellington P.O. Box 24-068, Manners
St, Wellington

*E: *steve.piner at signify.co.nz
<mailto:steve.piner at signify.co.nz>*S:*http://www.signify.co.nz
<http://www.signify.co.nz/>

Signify Logo

*Signify *is an innovative web and mobile development company. We are
about creating websites and mobile applications that are usable,
accessible, functional, and striking while at the same time meeting the
goals of our clients. We have considerable experience with Drupal,
Plone, SilverStripe and Umbraco content management systems.

This communication, including any attachment, is confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should delete/destroy this
communication; you may not read and must not copy, send or retain any
part of this communication. Please do not disclose to any third party
anything about this communication.