[Wellington-pm] Wellington Perl Mongers 2017

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Tue Feb 7 00:43:37 PST 2017

Hi Mongers

We need to talk about the future of Wellington Perl Mongers ...

Do people want to continue to have monthly technical meetings?

Throughout 2016, attendance levels were low and I really found it a
struggle from month to month to find people willing to do a talk - so
huge thanks to everyone who did speak last year!  I'm leaning towards
the conclusion that it's not worth bothering any more - convince me I'm
wrong :-)

The format we have been following is by no means set in stone.  If you
have ideas for how to make it better and how to boost attendance then
please reply on the list and we can talk about them.

Are any of you keen to come along but have other commitments that clash?
The schedule can be changed.  Would you be more or less likely to attend
if meetings were every two months?

What type of talks would get you coming back?  More beginner /
intermediate talks or more advanced topics?  Any specific topics you'd
like to see covered.

Will you be volunteering to talk this year?  If so, what about?  If not,
why not?

Is there something that I'm doing (or not doing) that puts you off
attending?  If there is, I need to know so I can fix that - please tell
me.

Traditionally, the first meeting of the year is a lightning talk meeting
on the second Tuesday of February - that would be next Tuesday (also, by
coincidence this year that's also Valentines day, does that matter?).

Can we actually pull together a lightning talk meeting in one week?  If
you think we can and want to take part, then email me to book a 5 minute
talk slot.  If you think delaying until March would help then say so.

Is anyone out there?  What do you think?