[Wellington-pm] Meeting this Tuesday (October 11th)

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Mon Oct 10 14:46:31 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-10-11 at 10:09 +1300, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> On 10/10/16 10:56, Douglas Bagnall wrote:
> > On 10/10/16 09:30, Grant McLean wrote:
> >> Steve's going to talk on "Fibonacci in Perl 6".  I'm planning to reprise
> >> my talk on solving problems using the "exact cover" algorithm - unless
> >> everyone's already seen that.
> > Is that the thing with the turtles?
> >
> > I have been thinking about that for years.
> >
> > Douglas
> >
> Turtles?

The backstory is that our family had a puzzle which involved arranging a
set of tiles. Each tile had pictures of turtles on it and you needed to
arrange the tiles so that the head of a turtle on one tile matched the
tail of a turtle on the adjacent tile. The puzzle was fun for a while
but then I thought "why don't I just write a program to solve this?".
This talk covers the highs and lows of the journey that followed.