[Wellington-pm] Catalyst

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Wed Aug 29 14:17:41 PDT 2012

I've done a small amount of work with the Catalyst framework.  It's
definitely less constraining than Rails.  Which in some ways is a good
thing and other ways a bit frustrating. In Catalyst it's not always
obvious which is the best component to choose. In Rails, if you're even
making a choice your straying from the well trodden path.

In my experience it's definitely easier to get something up and running
quickly with Dancer than Catalyst. And there will probably be less code
with Dancer too.  Whether this scales as complexity increases I can't
say yet.

On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 08:03 +1200, Nigel McNie wrote:
> Catalyst user here too. Built a startup on it (I know at least one
> other person on this list has done that too). It gives you a lot of
> rope to hang yourself with. Depends entirely on you as to whether
> that's a good thing or not.

Agreed.

> I'd personally recommend staying well away from DBIx::Class for your
> Model.

I don't entirely agree with that advice.  I've found DBIx::Class to be
very useful for handling the annoying details of putting together
inserts and updates.  If you're comfortable with SQL then you're better
off avoiding DBIx::Class for queries.  If you're not comfortable with
SQL then you're better off learning more about SQL.

> Also, beware the IRC channel. Mr. <mst> is a grumpy sod.

He's trying to turn over a new leaf (now a "recovering asshole") so if
you feel he is poorly treating you then let him know.

  http://shadow.cat/blog/matt-s-trout/on-not-being-a-problem/