[Wellington-pm] Catalyst

Kent Fredric kentfredric at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 03:10:34 PDT 2012

On 29 August 2012 21:44, Cliffp <enkidu at cliffp.com> wrote:
> Just interested, does anyone use the Catalyst Web Framework?
>
> I'm currently playing around with it, to see if I like it enough. I've also
> been looking at Django, but that runs on the other p-thing that we don't
> talk about, so I'm not keen. I've also been reading about RoR. RoR and
> Catalyst seem to be somewhat similar and Django is, well, slicker, but it's
> written in that other thing, and that is a big negative so far as I'm
> concerned.

I haven't really made any real projects on Catalyst myself yet, mostly
just the cognitive overhead of managing it at present seem too high
wrt/ learning curves.

Its easier ( for me at least ) to use something slightly more
reductionist, like Dancer ( https://metacpan.org/module/Dancer ) ,
which seems to be easier to get your feet wet with and Just Start
Doing Something Now.

Mojolicious also should be given an honourable consideration (
https://metacpan.org/module/Mojolicious ), but its definatly not my
cup of tea, because of its very unperlish way of doing things (
Namingly, being entirely self contained with 0 dependencies.

Mojolicious tout this being a perk, but I see it as being PHP grade
"NIH" braindeaded mentality, which only seems like a reasonable
request if your deploying a project on a server you have little to no
control of, or have some other painful problem with dealing with
dependencies.

But if you're happy running production using Perlbrew'd Perls (
https://metacpan.org/release/App-perlbrew ), and are pretty
comfortable with Modern Perl practices like local::lib (
https://metacpan.org/release/local-lib ) and/or comfortable with cpanm
( https://metacpan.org/release/App-cpanminus ), then I don't
personally see why you'd *choose* a framework that is inherently
designed as to *not* be a native part of a perl ecosystem.

But of course it always comes down to what your specific needs and
requirements are.  If all you know about deployment is "They have Perl
5.8 and you have to deploy by FTPing zip files to the server, where
some monkey who doesn't know the code unzips it and hopes it works",
then Mojolicious might be a safer bet.

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,