[Wellington-pm] How to cure "variable will not stay shared?

Lesley Longhurst lrw at clear.net.nz
Thu Nov 3 15:35:37 PDT 2011

Hi mongers,

So, I'm looking at some nasty legacy code left behind by Mordac. I added
"use warnings; use diagnostics" and got a pile of these warnings.  From
what I've read so far, it seems that they are caused by a subroutine
being defined inside a subroutine. The diagnostics text suggests making
the inner subroutine anonymous, but I don't think that's going to work
because it's called by name many times.

Am I likely to make matters worse if I just take the inner sub and move
it outside the outer sub? Most of the variables are defined without "my"
and there is no other sub with the same name.

--
Lesley Longhurst (previously Walker)
Linux Systems Administrator
Email lesley.longhurst at opus.co.nz
Tel +64 4 471 7002, Fax +64 4 473 3017
http://www.opus.co.nz
Level 9  Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street, PO Box 12 343
Wellington, New Zealand