[Wellington-pm] How much perl is out there?

Cliff Pratt enkidu at cliffp.com
Sun May 30 14:28:53 PDT 2010

On 30/05/10 13:30, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Dale DuRose<dale.durose at gmail.com>  writes:

>>> I'd be surprised if it were "used for most web applications". Something like
>>> PHP would be more likely used for that.
>>>
>>> We use it mostly for sysadmin stuff.
>>
>> About 10 years ago it was used for most web applications. Maybe even longer
>> than 10.
>
> Heh.  History.  You tell the kids today that Perl once had the reputation that
> PHP has, that it was used for all those awful throw-away one-shot CGI things
> that were the bane of security administrators lives, and they don't believe
> you.

Cheeky sod! My first Web Server was downloaded from NCSA. It came with
one or two shell scripts to demonstrate CGI, but, so far as I can
remember, no Perl.

> Back then we had to hand-code our requests out of CGI.pm, too, and it was
> up-hill both ways.

Well, originally (and it is still the case) CGI programs read Standard
Input and wrote to Standard Output. Arguably Perl CGI.pm obscures much
of the detail.

> Seriously: Perl was, once, the king of CGI.  These days?  Big in a whole bunch
> of places, mostly by virtue of graduating from a "cool" language to a serious
> one.
>
> It joins FORTRAN, COBOL, C, C++, and other luminaries that are no longer the
> cool way to do exciting new things, but which get plenty of real work done.

No doubt. I still use Perl CGI on a daily basis.

Cheers,

Cliff