[Wellington-pm] How much perl is out there?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat May 29 18:30:27 PDT 2010

Dale DuRose <dale.durose at gmail.com> writes:
> On 30/05/2010 10:44 a.m., Cliff Pratt wrote:
>> On 29/05/10 19:44, dale.durose wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a question is perl still being used commonly in the new
>>> zealand IT industry? I know in the past it was used for most web
>>> applications. So i imagine its holding strong with the system
>>> administrators out there?
>>>
>> I'd be surprised if it were "used for most web applications". Something like
>> PHP would be more likely used for that.
>>
>> We use it mostly for sysadmin stuff.
>
> About 10 years ago it was used for most web applications. Maybe even longer
> than 10.

Heh.  History.  You tell the kids today that Perl once had the reputation that
PHP has, that it was used for all those awful throw-away one-shot CGI things
that were the bane of security administrators lives, and they don't believe
you.

Back then we had to hand-code our requests out of CGI.pm, too, and it was
up-hill both ways.

        Daniel

Seriously: Perl was, once, the king of CGI.  These days?  Big in a whole bunch
of places, mostly by virtue of graduating from a "cool" language to a serious
one.

It joins FORTRAN, COBOL, C, C++, and other luminaries that are no longer the
cool way to do exciting new things, but which get plenty of real work done.