[Wellington-pm] truth vs.Truth

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jul 2 15:15:46 PDT 2009

VPeuWzSme3ZPzsXHjF2wHz wrote:

> FROM THE USA, a financial bank's daily newsletter taking to task the
> discrepancy between what the public is told and what the numbers proport
> to report:
>
> The strangeness of today though will be the fact that the Weekly Initial
> Jobless Claims will print, and probably show that over 600,000 jobs were
> lost last week, and unemployment claims were filed... So... How does the
> BLS (labor statistics) come up with "only" 365,000 jobs lost for the
> month, when one week was 600,000? The games people play now... Every
> night and every day now... Never meaning what they say now... Never
> saying what they mean... And they wile away the hours... In their ivory
> towers... Till they're covered up with flowers...In the back of a black
> limousine... - Joe South...

OK, I think I see where your problem lies.  The "Truth" module you
refer to is
http://search.cpan.org/~beppu/Unamerican-Truth-1.08/Truth.pm, yes?
whereas "truth" is just an unimplemented pragma.  I'm surprised (just
slightly) that it works at all.  So replace

 use truth;

with

 use Unamerican::Truth;

and you should get better results.

As for the details of the output, they may be explained if some of the
numbers involved were octal or hex.  Did you perhaps input 0600000 by
mistake?  Of course this would all be clearer if you could supply a
code example.

Douglas