[Wellington-pm] pii - perl interactive interpreter

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Apr 11 00:48:10 PDT 2009

Martyn Smith <martyn at catalyst.net.nz> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 03:22:59PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Martyn Smith <martyn at catalyst.net.nz> writes:
>>
>> > Okay, so I fixed up the few really obvious bugs, and made it run on
>> > 5.8 with no deps (hopefully).
>>
>> Is there any reason than Devel::REPL isn't better suited to your needs?
>>
>> Granted, not dependency free, but is that /really/ such a critical
>> issue?
>
> if you'd come along to the meeting you'd have all the answers you need

I would love to, but I don't seem to be able to get over there in time;
the flight from melbourne.au is inconveniently long. ;)

> In a nutshell, I discovered Devel::REPL after I had written this, and
> haven't had a good look at it.
>
> Certainly the thought of copying a single script to a machine and
> having it work appeals :-)

*nod*  I can understand that.  Devel::REPL is heavy, but extensible,
which I find attractive.

It is also my general experience that if installing Perl dependencies is
a significant problem for you then you just lost the biggest attraction
of Perl, which is the CPAN library.[1]

If getting that dependency issue is a pain you may find PAR a useful
adjunct, with the ability to pack all the dependencies into a single
Perl script you can copy around... :)

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  The CPAN module to do whatever you imagine may not be any *good*,
     but there is probably something there to think about, at least.