[Wellington-pm] perl-suid deprecated, in favour of what?

Lesley Walker LRW at clear.net.nz
Mon May 22 21:11:34 PDT 2006

Hi folks,
I have a CGI script which currently (under Debian Woody) runs with
setgid unix permissions in order to read mail logs (so that certain
people can trace where emails have gone without needing login access to
certain servers).

After an upgrade to Sarge, however, it doesn't run, and I get this error
in the apache logs:
    Can't do setuid (cannot exec sperl)

Googling finds a solution, which is to install perl-suid. However, the
package decription says:
    Usage of this program is now strongly deprecated upstream and
    support (along with this package) will probably be removed in
    5.10

Therefore I'd like to find a solution OTHER than perl-suid.  Is there
some other package or module that can be used instead?

I've tried setting $) and it has no effect.

You can assume I've thought of these already:
   making copies of the log files
   giving the apache user account admin permissions
   changing the ownership/permissions of the log files
None of them are really suitable.

LesleyW