[Wellington-pm] CPAN and local installs (was Re: Meeting Next Tuesday)

michael at diaspora.gen.nz michael at diaspora.gen.nz
Mon May 1 21:58:32 PDT 2006

Grant McLean writes:
>On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 16:43 +1200, michael at diaspora.gen.nz wrote:
>> Can we include a section on how setting up CPAN with:
>>
>>     'makepl_arg' => q[PREFIX=~/]
>>
>> (on Linux) promptly breaks when you try and install a Module::Build
>> module, and thereby drives one slightly bonkers?
>
>Is it still broken with the new Module::Build released this week?

I'm using the Ubuntu package, which is version 0.26-1.  I'll give it a
go with the latest from CPAN.

The problem with the 0.26 version is that I get an error message denying
all knowledge of the PREFIX command line argument from Module::Build; one
is meant to use install_base and installdirs={site,core,vendor} instead.

Which is understandable, really, just a pain in the ass; because
if I'm building a tree of modules through the CPAN shell, the ones
with Module::Build need different makepl_arg values from "normal"
Extutils::MakeMaker ones.

    -- michael.