[Wellington-pm] CPAN and local installs (was Re: Meeting Next Tuesday)

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Mon May 1 21:58:14 PDT 2006

michael at diaspora.gen.nz wrote:

>Can we include a section on how setting up CPAN with:
>
>    'makepl_arg' => q[PREFIX=~/]
>
>(on Linux) promptly breaks when you try and install a Module::Build
>module, and thereby drives one slightly bonkers?

CPANPLUS is supposedly better. It deals with this Module::Build
backwards incompatibility brain damage. On a test run of installing all
the dependencies for MojoMojo, a Catalyst.pm wiki, it only barfed "a
few" times, compared to CPAN.pm, which barfed "continuously".

So, yes, don't use Module::Build or your users will hate you.

Module::Install seems to be the way people are going these days. It also
does nice things like bundle your dependencies (including itself!) when
you 'make dist'.

Sam.