[Wellington-pm] CPAN and local installs (was Re: Meeting Next Tuesday)

michael at diaspora.gen.nz michael at diaspora.gen.nz
Mon May 1 21:43:11 PDT 2006

Grant McLean writes:
>The next meeting will be on Tuesday May the 9th.  The following two
>speakers are lined up:
>
> * Michael Robinson - Plucene

Awww, shite, that means I have a presentation to write between now and
then :)

> * Srdjan Jankovic - Using CPAN for Fun and Profit

Can we include a section on how setting up CPAN with:

    'makepl_arg' => q[PREFIX=~/]

(on Linux) promptly breaks when you try and install a Module::Build
module, and thereby drives one slightly bonkers?

The above gave me a nice setup where everything went into:

    $HOME/lib/perl/5.8.7
and $HOME/share/perl/5.8.7

but the best I seem to be able to do with Module::Build is:

    $HOME/lib/i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi/
and $HOME/lib/i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi/auto/

Which is slightly frustrating.
    -- michael.