[Wellington-pm] July Talks [was: New Book: Intermediate Perl]

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Mon Jun 26 22:47:04 PDT 2006

Grant McLean wrote:
> The next meeting is in two weeks.
>
> Sam in going to give us an advanced screening of a talk he'll be doing
> at YAPC::Eu later in the year:
>
>   Moose - It's the new Camel!
>
>   Moose is a module for building Perl classes, that gives you many of
>   the powers of Perl 6's object system in Perl 5 - including Roles
>   and subset types. Despite being a young module, it is rapidly
>   becoming the 'accessors module' of choice for the discerning module
>   author.
>
>   This talk will give a tour through Moose - its features and how to
>   use them, and show a design process example of an application
>   written using Moose.
>
> Finlay will be introducing us to DBIx::Class and telling us about his
> adventures using it with the Catalyst web application framework.

I have another talk, "Database - slave or master? DBIx::Class vs
Tangram" (see birmingham2006.com for synopsis), Finlay and I discussed
doing both of them on the same evening.

I suppose it's not overly important though, especially if we don't have
any more speakers ready yet. And maybe it is better to spead out the ORM
talks over separate evenings. Thoughts, anyone?

Sam.