[Wellington-pm] Talk cancellations

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Mon Aug 7 17:04:27 PDT 2006

Greetings all,

I'm afraid I have to cancel on a few talks, including tonight's one.
I'd love to share the details of why I can't attend the meeting
tonight, but that would be disrespectful to the privacy of the
defendant and due process of law.

When I was originally looking at YAPC, I thought about the fields that
I felt comfortable to talk on, put forward a few ideas for some
interesting sounding talks and thought I'd see what the reaction was.
I must confess I didn't expect them all to be selected.  Feeling
confident I would be able to pull several rabbits out of my hat and
get them all done, I confirmed all of them, even submitting several
more to the Australian OSDC.

However, sadly all I have so far for two of these so far are sketches,
and I don't feel comfortable giving them in their current form.  The
YAPC talk slots are mercilessly short as required for us attention
deficit Perl folk, and I think for the benefit of all participants, I
would rather focus on giving a couple of good talks with supporting
modules than four scattered and possibly confusing talks which are
mostly vapourware.

Anyway, here's the meat of which talks fall into which category;

 Unable to attend:

   - August 8th (tonight) - Wellington Perlmongers
     Database: Slave or Master?

 Confirmed:

   - August 31st - YAPC::Eu in Birmingham
     Moose - it's the new Camel!
     cpan6, cpan for perl6

   - December - OSDC in Melbourne
     Moose - it's the new Camel! (OS6P0054)
     Database: Slave or Master? (OS6P0053)

 Cut:

   - August 31st - YAPC::Eu in Birmingham
     Moose - it's the new Camel!
     Database: Slave or Master?

   - September 1st - YAPC::Eu in Birmingham
     Subversion, git, darcs, SVK

   - December - OSDC in Melbourne
     Subversion, git, darcs, SVK (OS6P0052)

I will still enjoy the opportunity to discuss these topics with people
along the way, and instead of giving them as talks will convert the
pieces I have into a series of use.perl.org posts.  I hope the people
who were interested to see my talks will appreciate them, as I post
them on http://use.perl.org/~mugwumpjism/journal

Sam.