[Wellington-pm] Notes from last night's meeting

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Mon Sep 13 17:16:20 CDT 2004

Hi Mongers

We had a good turn out last night and I enjoyed presenting to an
enthusiastic crowd.  The slides from my presentation (complete
with errors) are up in the 'archive' section of the web site:

  http://wellington.pm.org/

The discussion about future meetings covered the following points:

* Future meetings will be held monthly (let's maintain the momentum)

* There was clear support for scheduling future meetings to
  coincide with the WellyLUG meetings (PM 6:00-730, LUG 7:30-???)
  which are on the second Monday of each month

* Catalyst are happy to continue to host Perl Mongers and this is
  convenient for moving on to the WellyLUG meeting upstairs, but
  alternative venues are possible

* In addition to the regular technical meeting, there is interest
  in organising regular social meets (ie: at a pub).  Sam suggested
  meeting a week before the tech meeting although it was noted
  that Monday is possibly not the best night - discussion on the
  list please

* We had a few people volunteer to present at future tech meetings
  (yay!):

  * Sam Vilain offered to talk on Tangram (or was it specifically
    Class::Tangram?) at the next meeting in October

  * Michael Robinson said he could talk about Maypole and about
    DBI some time after next month

  * Grant requested a talk introducing Python to Perl programmers
    and Douglas (Bagnall?) kindly offered to oblige

  * Subjects that people would like covered included:

    * Regular expressions
    * IDE's for Perl development
    * PHP (compared to Perl?)  (Peter, did the link cover this?)
    * GUI programming
    * References and OO

Sam, how much time do you want for your Tangram talk?  I'd be happy
to put something together on regexes for next month if we took say
30-40 minutes each.  (If someone else would like to do the regex
talk then speak up).

Regards