Code Check

James at bigfoot.com jandanz at bigfoot.com
Mon May 5 03:26:53 CDT 2003

I want to thank Michael and Grant for their comments on my PERL code.
Trying to develop code in isolation is very difficult. You just do not
pick up good tips from the guy in the next cubicle when you you do this
stuff at home.

Yes, you are both right I am not a novice programmer having spent
several years in the 1970s, and beyond, using COBOL, and then PL/1, a
small bit of IBM Assembler, and a great deal of REXX.

I think that my grounding in COBOL means that I tend to write PERL like
a COBOL program. I put all the declarations at the front because of
this.

I shall be investigating the changes that you both suggest and working
them into my program. It is not possible to implement them all as I am
actually adding a program to an existing package called Greymatter, and
the configuration file needs to be edited by "users" who are not always
computer literate people.

The suggestions to use modules like XML::Simple, among others, intrigued
me. How can you find a module to do a job, if you you don't know what
the module is called?

Once again thanks to you both. No doubt I will be back with some more
questions soon.

--
James J. Eaton
jandanz at bigfoot.com