XML::RSS

Ewen McNeill ewen at naos.co.nz
Thu Apr 24 02:57:59 CDT 2003

In message <1051168498.2052.33.camel at argon>, "James @bigfoot.com" writes:
>I am writing a CGI script that will use XML::RSS. I realise that some
>hosting service will either, not have this installed, or not be willing
>to install it. It has been suggested that I could include XSS::RSS with
>my code. Could someone please explain what is meant by this, and how I
>would go about it.

Without knowing what the person who suggested it was thinking it seems
to me there are a couple of possiblities
- upload the XML::RSS module files to sit in your cgi-bin directory, and
  add the appropriate directory to your perl @INC path
- textually include the contents of the XML:RSS module into your cgi-bin
  program surrounded by appropriate Package statements and the like to
  make perl happy.

Of these two the first is going to be more maintainable and the second
is going to minimise the number of files you need to upload (and, eg,
might be useful if you have to send them the script for inclusion).

Both will work only if the code is "pure perl" and doesn't need anything
compiled/adapted/etc for the machine it's running on.  With XML::RSS
based on what I guess it's doing, it's probably going to be okay.
Beware, however, of its dependencies -- it may well want an XML library
which may well not be installed...

Ewen