Mark your diary: Wed 3-May-2000

Ewen McNeill ewen at naos.co.nz
Wed Mar 8 20:37:04 CST 2000

In message <416EBC605EBED111A31A08002B9F4B361E92D4 at scarab.lq.web.co.nz>, Grant McLean writes:
>I'd have thought that even intermittent use of Perl should turn up
>a minimum of one 'interesting' in a two month period.

I use perl almost every day, the majority of which (except when I'm
doing web-based perl development as now) is quick one liners on the
command line to fix some particular problem.  I don't generally discover
anything "interesting" in doing these sorts of things (by which I mostly
mean "something that's new to me") largely because it's often relatively
repetitive.

>> even with a "hat" to drop questions/tip-snippets into, but without
>> the spanish inquisition ("Have you put your...?").
>
>If we do it again, I'll back off on the bully boy tactics.  I just
>think that it's the sort of thing that only works if people have
>had a bit of a think about it before hand.  The last thing we
>want is everyone sitting round staring at their shoes :-)

Indeed.  For that reason I think the "hat" is a good approach, and
general comments to the effect that it's pretty empty might be
appropriate, but insisting that each individual person come up with
something _every_time_ I think would be overboard.

Perhaps there's a happy medium we can all agree on?

While I'm writing, I want to say thank you to you Grant for taking the
time to get the meeting organised as well as it was last night,
particularly as things had been sliding a little since last year.

Ewen