Mark your diary: Wed 3-May-2000

Grant McLean grantm at web.co.nz
Wed Mar 8 18:39:14 CST 2000

Ewen McNeill writes

> I think it's useful for people to be able to ask questions and
> get an answer from the group; and useful for people to be able
> to comment on things that they've found useful that they think
> other people should know.  But I wouldn't want to see it being
> compulsory for everyone to have a question or a tip every month
> (because I for one would rapidly run out of interesting tips).

I'd have thought that even intermittent use of Perl should turn up
a minimum of one 'interesting' in a two month period.

The intention was that if everyone thinks of one five minute topic
then we've got a least half an hour of wide ranging subject matter.

> So perhaps something like that on a less formal basis?  Perhaps
> even with a "hat" to drop questions/tip-snippets into, but without
> the spanish inquisition ("Have you put your...?").

If we do it again, I'll back off on the bully boy tactics.  I just
think that it's the sort of thing that only works if people have
had a bit of a think about it before hand.  The last thing we
want is everyone sitting round staring at their shoes :-)