Wellington Perl Mongers Meeting in 3 Weeks

Grant McLean grantm at web.co.nz
Sun Jun 11 20:59:36 CDT 2000

Hi Mongers

That time is rapidly approaching once more ...

  Meeting:    Wellington Perl Mongers
  Start Time: Wednesday 5 July 2000, 5:30 PM
  Location:   The Web Limited
              Level 8, 86 Lambton Quay

Nobody has currently committed to a presentation.

One topic which was suggested last time was 'Programming for
Portability'.  Anyone like to volunteer to pick this up and run
with it?  (I could help if someone wanted to take the lead).

I would like to volunteer to talk on using DBI (the Perl Database
Interface).  If there are DBI topics you'd like to see covered, let
me know.

Any other offers?

If you know of someone who's may be interested in attending but is
not on the mailing list, forward them this message and they can
find list subscription details at: http://wellington.pm.org/

Finally, I'd like to leave you with this quote from Larry Rosler
(another Perl Hacker), bemoaning what he refers to as 'evaporating
expectations of software quality' in an interview on www.perl.com
( http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/06/rosler.html ):

   1980's paradigm: If it's worth implementing once,
                    it's worth implementing twice.
   1990's paradigm: Ship the prototype!
   2000's paradigm: Ship the idea!

Happy monging

Grant McLean       | email: grantm at web.co.nz | Lvl 8, 86 Lambton Quay
The Web Limited    | WWW:   www.web.co.nz    | PO Box 15-175
Internet Solutions | Tel:   (04) 495 8250    | Wellington
Awesome service    | Fax:   (04) 495 8259    | New Zealand