[Vlaanderen] Perl dev-room @ FOSDEM 2012: your input

Claudio Ramirez padre.claudio at apt-get.be
Fri Nov 18 02:47:14 PST 2011

Hi,

As you probably know, our dev-room request at FOSDEM 2012 was accepted.
This is what we get:
- a room with 81 seats on Sunday 5 February 2012 from 9 to 17h
- a VGA video projector
- wireless internet
- a lot of potential visitors

We can have presentations, discussions, brainstorming, workshops, BOFs,
hacking sessions, etc. In short, we are free to use the room as we see fit,
of course within the limits of FOSS software.The deadline for sending the
schedule is the 21 of January 2012.

I think this is a great opportunity for the Belgian Perl community (and for
the neighbouring mongers as well) to give form to our presence at FOSDEM.
It has the potential to become a rallying moment for the community, next to
the Belgian Perl Workshop (which was great, by the way!).

How do we plan to fill the 8 hours we have at our disposal? Do we want
mostly talks? Workshops? What subjects we prefer to see explained? How wide
do we plan to go (content geared to people new to Perl vs p5p)?

As you can see, I would love to see input from all of you before we send a
call for speakers. The sooner we finish the schedule, the more time
speakers will have to make travel arrangement and block the time on their
calender. I think we should take the organisation of the event as wide as
possible, in true FOSS community spirit.

Next to the call-for-speaker, it would be a good idea to start organising a
Perl diner/social event, like last year.  This year though, we should
inform people sooner to be sure people know about it.

So, I want your input, now! :)

Claudio

PS: the deadline for the booth request is 13 December 2012