[Vlaanderen] Perl for system administrators

vlaanderen.pm at wendy.org vlaanderen.pm at wendy.org
Thu Sep 14 02:47:25 PDT 2006

Hi Jonathan,

At 10:33 14-9-2006, Jonathan Schollen wrote:
 >Hi all,
 >
 >It was a splendid meeting yesterday. It was great to meet all of you guys
 >(and girls ;-)

Liz and I had a good time too.  We always enjoy the Amsterdam.pm
meetings, nice people.  This meeting was no less nice, really.  As
always, a nice mixture of experience, background, work,
characters.  Perl always seems to find its way to places where one
would not expect it (glass domes, who would think of that?).  It
doesn't happen often that I meet Perl developers with a rotten
attitude and it didn't happen yesterday.

I did like the surroundings very much.  I have been in Leuven before,
but never like this, in the evening on a terrace, surrounded by party
people, soccer on the background, good beer, laptops within reach.

 >I can hardly wait 'till the next meeting.

Same here.

 >Besides that, I also wanted to pop a quick question on system adminitration
 >(mainly Windows).
 >Can someone tell me a good book on the subject?
 >I found the eBook on "Perl for system administrators" (by David N
 >Blank-Edelman; O'Reilly press). Is this any good?
 >
 >Thx,
 >
 >Jonathan

I do remember reading parts of it.  But I can't remember what I
read.  So I can't give any recommendation.  So just Google for the
reviews (
http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=%22perl+for+system+administration%22+review&btnG=Google+zoeken&meta=
)

Of course the first one is biased:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlsysadm/

The second one goes into the book in more detail, and concludes with
a positive mark:

This one says that there is quite a bit of attention to MS systems.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/reviews/showproduct.php?product=579

I think that you might want to look at "Learning Perl on Win32
Systems", also by O'Reilly, since that is aimed at Windows NT system
administrators.  The reviews are mixed, though.  Too basic.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperlwin/

Good luck with searching...

Kind regards,
Wendy