[Vienna-pm] Robot Turtles - a board game to teach programming

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Thu Sep 26 01:50:18 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:34:53AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>     Robot Turtles is a board game you play with your favorite 3-8 year
>     old. It sneakily teaches programming fundamentals.
>
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danshapiro/robot-turtles-the-board-game-for-little-programmer

> 1) I don't know how to find the relevant numbers for Austria

We think that duty on board games is 0%. That just means MWST at 20%.
Presumably on the value of the game, not the shipping too. (But someone
might screw up or get greedy).

> 5) What is the charge that gets made by the delivery firm for collecting
>    the duty?

Andrea thinks that this might be zero. In that I'll get an Erlagschein
(and presumably grumpy letters and then debt collectors if I'm daft enough
to ignore it)

> 3) So, is anyone else interested?

The unconditional list seems to be

me:			1
domm:			2
Roland Angerer:		1
Benjamin Erhart:	1
Gerhard Jungwirth:	1
pepl:			1

which is 7.

I feel I can't include daxim on that list, as I have no way to guarantee his
condition that "it ships with instructions in German". The kickstarter page
mentions people intending to translate but (a) none of us can be sure that
they will do so (b) it's not clear how "third party" the translations will
be - ie whether it results in a multi-language pamphlet in the box, a
downloadable pamphlet with the same standard of presentation, or some
plain-text notes.

However, I could gamble :-)

(At least) two of those people are in Salzburg, which might be fun. In that
the project page suggests that shipping is intended to be for Christmas, which
is well after the workshop in Salzburg: http://act.useperl.at/apw2013/
so there isn't an obvious way to get boxes to there promptly for zero cost.
I don't know the weight, but I'm going to guess under 1kg, so even 2 together
would travel for EUR 4.45:
http://www.post.at/en/personal_sending_parcel_austria_rates.php
which isn't worth worrying about.

Nicholas Clark