[Vienna-pm] I'm looking for a job in Vienna

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Tue Oct 8 06:36:47 PDT 2013

I'm looking for a job. Specifically, full time work as part of a team onsite
in Vienna. (ie a sane commuting distance from the 18th district.)

I like writing reliable, understandable code that keeps working. I want to
go to sleep at night and to go on holiday without people needing to phone me
up for help. For that reason, I like working on projects with automated test
suites, because I like bugs that get fixed to stay fixed.

Although I've most recently been paid by TPF to work on the Perl 5 core
( see http://ccl4.org/~nick/p5grant.html ) for most of my career I've been
writing Perl code that talks to databases or other servers. That's what I'd
expect to be doing again, not C or XS code, even though the latter is what
everyone knows me for.

Like most programmers, I can deal with complex problems. Unlike most, I can
deal with inherently complex problems - problems that can't be reduced to a
set of simpler problems, but have to be tackled on multiple levels at once.
I can tame your impossible legacy code, I can refine release processes so
that they run like clockwork, and I can manage and migrate your version
control systems.

I know Perl and C very well, and I'm more than competent with SQL, C++,
Makefiles, shell scripts, HTML and similar markup languages. I've used SCCS,
RCS, CVS, Perforce, Subversion and git for version control, including
migrating Subversion repositories to git.

In paid employment dealt with Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, OS
X (on at least 7 CPU architectures), including network programming on most
of them. I'm competent to sysadmin, but not at scale. I've used MySQL,
PostgreSQL, SQLite, Oracle and even Sybase.

Outside of paid employment, the list is longer. I've made more stable Perl
releases than anyone else in the past decade. I'm the second largest
contributor to Perl 5 ever, and have good contacts with almost everyone of
note in the Perl community.

Given enough time, I can diagnose and fix almost any problem. I don't panic
in a crisis, and I've experienced enough that my guesses are usually pretty
good.

Microsoft Windows does not make me happy - I've not had it as main work
desktop machine for 12 years now. I'm not fussy - in that time I've used 5
different OSes instead.

My spoken German is good enough for restaurants and toddlers, but I would
struggle to interview in German. My written German is definitely rusty.

Nicholas Clark