[Vienna-pm] Visiting Vienna soon!

Maros Kollar maros at k-1.com
Mon Oct 1 05:40:36 PDT 2012

2012/10/1 Ben Tisdall <ben at tisdall.org.uk>

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Thomas Klausner <domm at cpan.org> wrote:
> > Regarding cycling, would you prefer a trip through the city, or through
> > Prater / Danube (i.e. big parks / semi-wilderness right next to the
> > inner city)
> >
> If it's a binary choice then outside city, possible to do a bit of
> both? (mrs is in bold mood).

If you two are up for a bold venture I have a suggestion which involves
lots of greenery and sightseeing, well of the beaten track. I guess that
most people from Vienna haven't been to all these lovely places yet. On the
downside it also involves 30km of pedalling.

* Through the Prater amusement park (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurstelprater) and meadows (
* then on to an old 18th century cemetery where Mozart was originally
buried (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Marx_Cemetery)
* a short stop and some czech beer and Lángos (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A1ngos) at the rustic Böhmischer Prater (
* on to yet another cemetery (the largest in Europe) with many art-nouveau
buildings and famous internments (
* and finally to the ruins of Schloss Neugebäude - the first Renaissance
palace north of the Alps (

This route is a little bit long on cemeteries and amusement parks, but I
believe that these places capture the (old) fun-loving and morbid spirit of
Vienna quite well. Due to the long distance this tour would require a
departure around noon.