[Vienna-pm] Call for Votes: YAPC::Europe Hackathons

Thomas Klausner domm at cpan.org
Mon May 21 03:53:56 PDT 2007

Hi!

Wie ihr vielleicht wisst, werden wir auf der YAPC::Europe 4 Hackathons
anbieten:
http://vienna.yapceurope.org/ye2007/cfh.html

Wir haben 6 Proposals von 5 Leuten bekommen und haben uns gedacht, es
waere doch nett, wenn alle Vienna.pm-Mitglieder (bzw alle, die *jetzt*
auf dieser Liste subskribiert sind) mit abstimmen wuerden, welche der
Hackathons ausgesucht werden sollen.

Also: Weiter unten folgt die Kurzzuebersicht und die Beschreibung
(soweit vorhanden) der einzelnen Hackathons. JedeR kann 1, 2, 3 und 4
Punkte vergeben. Die 4 Propsoals mit den meisten Punkten werden
ausgewaehlt. Deadline fuer die Abstimmung ist DO, 24.5., 18:00 (CET)

Bitte die Votes in der Form: Titel -> Punkte an die Adresse
    apw-orga at dmail.zsi.at
schicken, also
zB:

i) Foo -> 4 Pkt
k) Baz -> 3 Pkt
m) Bar -> 2 Pkt
o) Fuu -> 1 Pkt

Und hier die "Kandidaten"!

Hackathon-Proposals fuer YAPC::Europe 2007

Uebersicht
----------

a) Perl6-in-Perl6 and Perl6-in-Perl5, Flavio S. Glock
b) DBI, DBD::Oracle, John Scoles
c) CPAN::Porters, Gabor Szabo
d) Adding Tests to CPAN Modules, Gabor Szabo
e) POE, Kidney Bingos
f) OpenGuides, Kake

a) Perl6-in-Perl6 and Perl6-in-Perl5
"Flavio S. Glock" <fglock at gmail.com>

I will be hosting the Perl6-in-Perl6 and Perl6-in-Perl5 hackathon in
YAPC::SA (SouthAmerica) in a few days.

It would nice for me if we could have a followup in Vienna.

b) DBI, DBD::Oracle
"John Scoles" <scoles at pythian.com>

I am interested the DBI, DBD::Oracle or perhaps CIG or even embedded C
with Perl.

I am currently the maintainer of DBD::Oracle and have worked closely with
Tim Bunce and other in the DBI community.

c) CPAN::Porters
Gabor Szabo" <szabgab at gmail.com>

This is a new project I have starter to work on. The objective is to
increase the number of CPAN modules available as standard packages in
the various Linux (BSD and other) distributions.  I have started to
create some stats http://www.szabgab.com/distributions/ and started to
write some documents. By the time of the hackathon there should be
already several CPAN modules available in Debian that I am maintaining.
During the hackathon I would like to get more people involved and not
only on Debian but for the other major distros as well.  Maintaining
such distros requires lots of manual administrative work but there is
plenty of opportunities to create automations.  One of the sub-projects
is to make use of the dependency table created by CPANTS and maybe add
some more code to CPANTS to collect some more information we need. (even
if that does not directly contribute to the kwalitee factor of the
modules)

d) Adding Tests to CPAN Modules
Gabor Szabo" <szabgab at gmail.com>

Testing, that would be picking up several modules
(probably from Phalanx http://qa.perl.org./phalanx/ but I am not sure yet)
and starting to add tests to them. Tests initially might be released in
CPAN::Test::Others but once the module author agrees they should go
into the module itself.

e) POE
Kidney Bingos <chris at bingosnet.co.uk>

Proposal:
=========

POE is a framework for cooperative, event driven multitasking in Perl.

It lends itself to a mulitude of different applications and purposes
including, but not limited to:

- networking servers and clients;
- network monitoring;
- integration with existing event loops such as Glib, Event, Gtk, Tk, etc;

A hackathon would be an opportunity for POE developers to: gather,
discuss and exchange tips, tricks and best practises; work on long
delayed POE related modules; provide advice and support to newer and
novice POE users.

I unfortunately can't say at this point what kind of hacking will be
done. I intend to poll Rocco Caputo and the other POE developers
regarding possible things to be done. Also participents on the day would
probably have their own ideas.

Regarding the short introduction, I intend to produce enough material to
cover hopefully a diverse audience, which can be tailored on the day
given the attending persons.

About me:
=========

I have been involved with POE development for a number of years now,
including authoring and maintaining a large number of POE Components (
http://search.cpan.org/~bingos/ ) and using POE for work and public
based projects. As well as that I have made a number of contributions to
the POE code base.

f) OpenGuides

OpenGuides is a complete wiki-based application for running a website
about some subject where geographical location is important. The most
popular use at the moment is as a platform for a guide to a city -
London, Oxford, Vienna, and Boston are among the major cities covered.
The project has been running for over four years now, and has a small
core team of programmers as well as a close-knit community of other
interested parties including contributors to the various guides.

The content of an OpenGuides website is managed by the Wiki::Toolkit
suite of modules, and stored in your choice of SQLite, MySQL, or
Postgres.  OpenGuides itself provides structure and a UI layer on top of
this.  OpenGuides and Wiki::Toolkit are both written in Perl, and are
available on CPAN.

One of the major advantages of Openguides over other wiki software is
its use of structured data, allowing complex queries such as "find me
all the real ale pubs within 500m of King's Cross station which serve
food at lunchtime" [0]. Most search results can be viewed either as a
list or on a map, using the Google maps API [1].

[0] http://preview.tinyurl.com/22jlzu
[1] http://preview.tinyurl.com/2rxqt8

We have many, many tasks which could be addressed at a hackfest,
depending on the skills and interests of the participants. These
include:

- authentication
  Currently we use the traditional "wiki way" of not requiring any
  authentication at all; usernames are simply stored in a preference
  cookie by the user's browser. We'd like to add authentication as an
  option; OpenID is one possible way of going about this.

- making it easier to extend the core OpenGuides package
  Many guide admins have written add-ons to supplement the capabilities
  of the OpenGuides distribution; some of these can be folded back into
  the core, while others only make sense for particular
  guides/cities/countries. Making it easier to write these extensions
  not only makes it more likely that people will hack on things that can
  eventually go into the core, it also makes it easier for people to
  create local extensions without having to fork the codebase. This task
  can be broken down into a number of possible subtasks, for example:
  - modularising our javascript snippets into libraries
  - creating an SQL query builder
  - refactoring the structured data handlers to allow customisation of the
    structured data fields
  - creating a template framework to allow a consistent look and feel
    between core OpenGuides and local extensions

- "good enough" internationalisation
  OpenGuides' HTML is output by means of the Template Toolkit; we
  distribute the templates along with the Perl modules. Currently, these
  templates are all in English, and people wanting to run guides in
  different languages have to translate and maintain their own set of
  templates. All I'm thinking of at this stage is a way to let us
  distribute templates in multiple languages without significant
  repetition of presentation logic.

- improving the full-text search
  The text search is handled at the Wiki::Toolkit level; the content of
  a page is tokenised and indexed when a page is saved. We need better
  canonicalisation of these tokens to allow fuzzy matching (to catch
  misspellings) and to make sure that punctuation is irrelevant in
  searching (e.g. King's Cross vs.  Kings Cross).

- page deletion
  Page deletion is irreversible at the moment, which is not a good
  thing.  What we need to do is add "deletion" in at the Wiki::Toolkit
  level, by marking "deleted" pages/page versions as non-visible, and
  then making sure they don't get returned by queries unless
  specifically asked for.

- JSON output / API
  We've always been very keen to allow data-sharing between OpenGuides
  and other applications. We have RDF output, but this isn't hugely
  programmer-friendly due to the amount of faff needed to actually get
  out usable information. Other, more programer-friendly outputs would
  be great; JSON might be a useful starting point.

- non-Perl tasks
  Obviously this is a Perl-based conference and a Perl-based hackathon,
  but there are a number of other tasks which could be done by people
  who're interested in OpenGuides but don't feel comfortable diving
  straight into the code - or indeed non-Perl partners; I'll be
  providing one of these :) Non-Perl tasks include: template
  translation, user testing, writing documentation, coming up with new
  example designs/stylesheets.