[VPM] OSCON Perl tutorial

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Fri Jun 14 22:22:21 PDT 2013

On 2013.06.14 10:08 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2013.06.14 7:18 PM, Peter Scott wrote:
>> Just an FYI for anyone you know who is going to OSCON in five weeks and might
>> want to jumpstart learning Perl: I will be giving an introduction to Perl
>> tutorial, "Perl: The First Three Days" (in three hours).  See
>> http://www.oscon.com/oscon2013/public/schedule/detail/28923 . Highly rated from
>> last year.
>
> I can't go to OSCON, or any cons, this year.  I have about 50% confidence in
> going next year, depending partly on what other cons I might attend, and partly
> on whether I'd be prepared to give a proper Muldis D talk. -- Darren Duncan

Further to this, I don't know if I told you, but I went to my first YAPC in
2012, and I liked it.  Had previously been to OSCON 2005,6,8; strangely enough
Peter, it seems like I talked with you more there than here during those years.
  I'm interested in both conferences again, as well as maybe trying for my first
PgCon next year (in Ottawa), if I'm ready.

Meanwhile, my strongest interest in the short term / in 2013 is if we have any
Victoria.pm gatherings, as that's local and I don't have to do any major
calendar or job arrangings around it.

Barring another idea, I suggest perhaps a topic for a pre-OSCON VPM meeting is
you could practice giving your tutorial, or any other talk, especially if it
changed from last year.  That works best for normal talks; for the tutorial I
suppose you could pick out individual portions you might want the most feedback
about.

If we decide to meet, we'll have to decide when works for people.  June 27 thru
July 3 is the worst for me in the short term; other days/times may potentially work.

Also a question is where.  Does some room at UVic work?  Or some office in
downtown Victoria?  Etc.  To use UVic we'd need a UVic student involved, for
room booking; on the other hand UVic wants people to pay to use projectors.
Unless one of us has our own portable one we can bring.

-- Darren Duncan