[VPM] Ping

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Fri Jun 14 18:22:07 PDT 2013

On 2013.06.14 5:42 PM, Peter Scott wrote:
> On 6/14/2013 1:06 PM, Scott E. Campbell wrote:
>> Here and using perl - venturing into Catalyst which is new for me.
>
> You might try Dancer or Mojolicious, two more modern alternatives both of which
> seem to enjoy more support and be significantly easier to use.

I agree with this.  Catalyst was a big thing a few years ago, but more recently
it is considered kind of large and clunky, and that alternatives like Dancer are
easier to use.  We use Dancer at my work.  I don't have a strong opinion
regarding web frameworks though, except that these days any modern web app
should definitely be using PSGI/Plack between it and the web server.  Both
Catalyst and Dancer do that these days.

>> Haven't been to a meeting yet but haven't seen a notice for one almost since I
>> joined.
>
> Poll for the group: If we held a meeting that you wanted to attend, what would
> happen there?

My strongest interest and opinions are in databases, so an ideal meeting for me
would involve talk about that.  My favorite and most recommendable
production-quality DBMS these days is PostgreSQL, but more broadly I consider
relational better than non-relational as the default tool category.

I think an ideal meeting would have a large amount of open discussion, people
talking about whatever they want to.  The meetings are more about a social
gathering of people with common interests, and learning about tools or projects
is secondary.  Since this group is about Perl, I would expect people gathering
under that name would naturally talk about things connected to Perl somehow.  So
I don't need to know about any specific topic in advance to know I would enjoy
the meeting.  At the same time I think we'd need a minimum of like 4 people to
make it worthwhile, and ideally many more.

I can always talk about my Muldis D project which is a
heavily-Perl-inspired-and-resembling and Perl-implemented database programming
language.  (To get an idea of the similarity level, compare how far apart Perl 5
and Perl 6 are from each other, and then go not more than that amount further
than Perl 6.)  I hope to have the first executable by the end of summer.
There's no point having a meeting with that as a formal topic until after it
actually runs though.

-- Darren Duncan