[VPM] FW: FW: overriding perl 'our','my' keywords

Tyler MacDonald tyler at yi.org
Tue Mar 17 16:27:18 PDT 2009

Jer A <jeremygwa at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to use 'my', but I need 'our', because the I would like to be
> able to modifiy the variable outside the static class, so I have to use
> 'our' to make it public.

  Maybe re-think your encapsulation... you're trying to move from the
assumption that a script goes away when you're done to the assumption that
it sticks around forever.

  If you still want to be able to call the scripts from CGI, that shouldn't
be too difficult while changing your object model to support re-entry -- but
if you're just trying to move over to mod_perl as quickly as possible, i
strongly suggest you slow down and put out the work to make it compatible
instead of looking for hacky ways around best practices. :-)

	Cheers,
		Tyler