[VPM] Testing module alert

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Wed Mar 12 18:05:42 PDT 2008

At 05:36 PM 3/12/2008, Darren Duncan wrote:
>At 5:28 PM -0700 3/12/08, Peter Scott wrote:
> >I just discovered problems with the very new Test::Tester module and
> >the quite new Test::Builder module in the Test::Simple
> >distribution.  The check_test() function does not work right in
> >Test::Tester any more (don't know why it passed its tests) and this
> >causes, for instance, Test::Output to fail its tests (horribly).  Quite
> >probably many other modules would be affected, albeit only in their tests.
> >
> >I have alerted the module authors and rolled back using the following
> >CPAN shell commands:
> >
> >   install M/MS/MSCHWERN/Test-Simple-0.74.tar.gz
> >   install F/FD/FDALY/Test-Tester-0.106.tar.gz
> >
> >I suggest waiting for a version of Test::Tester with a version number >
> >0.107 and a version of Test::Simple with a version number > 0.79_01.
>
>Is Victoria.pm the mailing list that you intended to contact with
>that post, in contrast to a more general CPAN list?

I may have been too hasty.  Even though I verified this behaviour on
two different machines, I am now no longer able to reproduce it, i.e.,
the newer versions of Test::Simple and Test::Tester work just fine with
Test::Output.  I am trying to figure out why I saw what I did.

>In any event, I've always been using Test::More for my own modules,
>which is bundled with Perl, and it is plenty simple enough.

Test::More is part of the Test::Simple distribution.  And Test::Output
is extremely handy if you want to test things output to stdout or
stderr.  Without that you have to much around with IO::Scalar or similar.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies