[VPM] Job Posting: FillZ.com - Developer

Tyler MacDonald tyler at yi.org
Mon Feb 25 14:05:45 PST 2008

Please reply off-list...

------

Our dynamic, high energy company is currently seeking a programmer that can
contribute to the design and development of our cutting-edge web-based
services. To excel in this position you must be passionate about what you
do, love to learn and grow and must have a positive attitude and a
willingness to learn about both our industry and customer’s requirements.

You must be comfortable working independently as well as part of a
collaborative team environment. You are comfortable with both traditional
client-server architectures and modern service-oriented architectures. You
are an adept problem solver and thrive in a fast paced entrepreneurial
environment. You enjoy working with very large data sets and finding ways of
extracting useful data. Building web-based applications is second nature to
you, but you have also built desktop and server-side applications. You love
technology, especially using technology to solve system integration and
customer problems.

To excel in this position you must be passionate about what you do, love to
learn & grow & must have a positive attitude & a willingness to learn about
both our industry & our customer’s requirements.

You’ll be working out of AbeBooks corporate head office located on the Gorge
Waterway in beautiful downtown Victoria.

Job Description:

This position’s main duties will include but not be limited to:

* As part of the FillZ development team, you’ll be responsible for technical
support, bug tracking and escalations, scripting and other customization
work for customers, as well as taking on development and infrastructure
projects as we work to add to our service offering, enter into new markets
and scale our business for continued growth.

* You will build knowledge & become a subject matter expert on FillZ
services

Must Have’s:

* Relevant university degree and/or 2+ years work experience in software
engineering

* Programming Languages: Perl, HTML, Javascript

* Advanced knowledge of SQL

* Strong understanding of test-driven and test-first development

* Experience with software architecture and design

* Strong customer focus

* Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, & ability to
prioritize

* Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced, results driven atmosphere

Nice to Have’s:

* Programming Languages: Java, Perl web application (mod_perl)

* Experience supporting customers in a direct support or a sales engineering
role - customer centric

* Working knowledge of highly available, highly scalable enterprise
architectures (including web services, and service-oriented architectures)

* Experience using Agile development methodologies such as XP

* MySQL administration and replication

* Linux system administration (FillZ uses Centos which is a RedHat
Enterprise derivative)

* Backup, Recovery and Monitoring (FillZ currently uses Nagios)

* Additional languages: German and/or French are also nice to have